The purpose of Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Program is to give children the best possible start by providing optimal nutrition during critical development stages.
Goals of our WIC services:
- Reduce complications during pregnancy.
- Increase the number of breastfeeding mothers.
- Reduce iron-deficiency anemia.
- Decrease the number of low birth weight and premature infants.
- Improve growth and development of young children.
Who is eligible?
- Texas residents
- Pregnant women
- New mothers (breast-feeding or formula-feeding)
- Children under the age of five
When can you apply?
You don’t have to wait until your baby is born to apply for WIC services. Under WIC guidelines, pregnant mothers may receive:
- Nutritional foods
- Nutritional education
- Access to other programs
After your baby is born, WIC may provide:
- Breast-feeding support such as correct techniques and breast pumps
- Supplemental formula
Nutrition and Breastfeeding Classes
WIC offers group classes, individual counseling sessions, self-paced lessons, and online nutrition and breastfeeding classes. Online WIC classes can be found at https://texaswic.org/online-classes. Once you complete the class online, you can bring in your certificate to your WIC appointment to receive credit and update your benefits.
- Other important eligibility information:
- Proof of pregnancy is not required.
- Medicaid eligibility is not required.
- Income guidelines are higher than guidelines for Medicaid or food stamps.
- Eligibility lasts from pregnancy up to one year and for children up to five years.
- Please visit https://texaswic.org/apply to find out more information on how to qualify for WIC services and what is needed for your first WIC appointment.
We treat you like family
At CommuniCare Health Centers, we are committed to providing you and your family the care you need. We are committed to care and treat each one of our patients as we would a family member. We strive to make our patients feel comfortable and at home every single day. We have the friendliest doctors, nurses, and staff that are always ready to help with anything you and your family may need. We also proudly provide our services and care in Spanish, to ensure our Spanish speaking patients feel comfortable and at ease.